California barley bowl with avocados and lemony yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cups / 255 g cooked barley, still warm
- 1 cup / 55 g bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup / 60 g crumbled Cotija cheese or queso fresco
- 1/4 cup / 20 g sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced or sliced
- Flaky salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemony Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml plain yogurt (a runnier, non-Greek yogurt works best), homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 - In a small bowl, stir the barley, sprouts, cheese, almonds, and kosher salt together.
- 2 - Whisk all the yogurt sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If the sauce begins to separate, just give it a good stir before using.
- 3 - Scoop the barley mixture into 2 individual bowls and top it with the avocado and a few generous spoonfuls of yogurt sauce. Sprinkle flaky salt and pepper and serve.
- 4 - Make Ahead: Cooking the barley the night before is a great time-saver. Then these bowls really only take a few minutes to put together.